Middle East

Our partner church in Israel/Palestine

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land (ELCJHL) is the only Arabic Evangelical church in Palestine. It operates various education programs and works to foster reconciliation between Israel and Palestine, as well as within Palestinian society.

 

The ELCJHL traces its origins to the middle of the 19th century, when German and English Evangelical Christians came to Palestine to support the Christian minority in the area through diaconal and mission work. The initial phase of the Lutheran mission efforts began in 1841, when a joint British Anglican and Prussian Evangelical bishopric was established in Jerusalem. Other roots of the church go back to the Jerusalemverein (Jerusalem Society), founded in 1852. In 1959, the church received its own constitution. With the election of the first Arab Lutheran bishop, ELCJHL gained full independence in 1979.

 

Today, emigration from the region is the main challenge for Evangelical churches in the Holy Land. The ELCJHL focuses its efforts on social work and education. About 3,000 students attend church-operated schools in Bethlehem, Beit Sahour and Ramallah. Berlin Mission is responsible for the school in Talitha Kumi near Beit Jala. Peace education is one of our main areas of focus and our contribution to conflict resolution in the Middle East.

The ELCJHL is a partner church with the Evangelical Church Berlin-Brandenburg-schlesische Oberlausitz.

 

Key aspects of activities in cooperation with local partners:

  • Financial support of community and education work,
  • Promotion of school partnerships,
  • Training of ministers and other ELCJHL employees,
  • Public Relations work in Germany; publication of magazine “Im Lande der Bibel” (“In the Land of the Bible”),
  • Deployment of volunteers through the ecumenical program of the World Council of Churches,
  • Berlin Mission is responsible for the educational project of Sumaya Farhat Naser.


Our partner church in Egypt 

The Presbyterian-Coptic Church of Egypt (Synod of the Nile) is the oldest and largest Protestant church in Egypt. It has about 300,000 members in 300 congregations. One of its main areas of focus is education. The church is responsible for 22 schools throughout Egypt. These schools offer education from kindergarten to high school levels. Besides, the synod operates a school for students with special needs and a professional training center for secretaries. Furthermore, the church offers medical services in hospitals and health stations and works through the Coptic Evangelical Organization for Social Services (CEOSS). 

 

The Presbyterian-Coptic Church of Egypt (Synod of the Nile) has worked in partnership with the Evangelical Church Berlin-Brandenburg-schlesische Oberlausitz since 1977.

 

Key aspects of activities in cooperation with local partners:

  • Training of laymen,
  • Healthcare and literacy programs in the slums of Cairo and in rural areas,
  • Support and empowerment of women,
  • Promotion of peace and democracy,
  • Theological training.

Contact person

Jens Nieper
Tel +49 (0)30 · 2 43 44-196
j.nieper @ bmw.ekbo.de